Event Venue: Oorlogskloof Nature Reserve, Nieuwoudtville
#2 of the Quantum Country Classic Series
Teams of: 1 or 2 or 3
PRE ENTRIES ONLY!
Camping option is sold out!!!
ENTRIES CLOSE ON 23 APRIL OR ONCE 100 RUNNERS FOR THE 42KM AND 18KM IS REACHED!
When I scouted the different route options [in 2010] for the 42km Oorlogskloof Mountain run which takes place there on 27 April, the scenery was a sensory overload and I simply gawked at the relentless, pristine beauty. Except for my hiking partner, I did not see a soul in 4 days! But WE did see incredible rock art and phenomenal Geological masterpieces!
Date: 27 April No 2 of the SPUR Country Classics series
THE 42KM DISTANCE IS A "TEAM/PAIRS" RUN. NOT A RELAY. THE 18KM AND THE 5KM A SOLO RUN.
ENTRY FEE: [unchanged from last year]
42km - R1580 PER TEAM [R790 per person] [if you choose to stay at Groot Tuin and including catering] - see paragraph below this.
42km - R1260.00 per team [R630 per person] if you source your own accommodation. [you will still be included in all the catering in this case]
18km - R590.00 per person [if you choose to stay at Groot Tuin and including catering]
18km - R430.00 per person if you source your own accommodation. [you will still be included in all the catering in this case]
5km - R440 PER PERSON - [if you choose to stay at Groot Tuin and including catering]
5km - R280.00 per person if you source your own accommodation. [you will still be included in all the catering in this case]
ENTRY FEE INCLUDES:
- 2 nights camping accommodation [bring your own tent and sleeping bag] or sleeping in a dorm styled thatched hut. The huts has mattresses in it. First comes first served! See sleeping option below for thatched huts.
- Light breakfast - Coffee/tea/rusks on the morning of the run
- Lunch - Karoo Lamb potjie as you cross the finish line - for some it will be a mid day lunch and for others a mid afternoon lunch
- Finish line - energy drinks
- Random - Coffee/tea
- Dinner - Braai with salads and freshly baked bread
- Breakfast - Farm breakfast [bacon, eggs etc]
- Finisher medal
- An Adventure run in an area too incredible to describe!
- 2 Large boma styled fires at two different locations inside the camp terrain to huddle around
- Spending time with like minded folk - this run will redefine they way you look at trails!!
- We've been helping the Reserve building "donkeys" for hot water and a fully functional ablution are. We donated our time [2 weeks] and well over R10,000 worth of material to make this happen.There are currently 6 showers - 3 male/female.
Nieuwoudtville is 349km from Capetown and it has numerous accommodation options but we had such an awesome crowd last year at Groot Tuin - I would stay at Groot Tuin if I were you!
42km Mountain run - 06h30
5 and 18km trail run - 08h00
Start and finish - Oorlogskloof Nature Reserve - Groot Tuin camp.
Total altitude gain over 42km = 1313m.
Click here for full details
The run this year will be the opposite direction to last year - anti clockwise. It will also mean that you should have more opportunities to have access to fresh water in the latter part of the run.
The 42km run route follows a combination of a variety of hiking trails. Categories - THE 42KM IS A "TEAM/PAIRS" RUN. 2 PEOPLE RUNNING TOGETHER IN A "TEAM" - the area you run in is "remote" and hence the "safety in numbers".The 5 AND 18km are solo runs. This 42km run is not recommended if you are a novice/beginner off-road runner.
Open male pairs
Open Female pairs
Solo male - 18km route
Solo female - 18km route
Click here: RACE RULES for the 42km run.
Directions:Click on link for directions